Parish Lab 7th & 8th Grades
What is Parish Lab?
- Parish Lab is a non-graded course that any middle school student with an active Individual Accommodation Plan (IAP) can enroll in.
- Parish Lab is a resource for students to develop mindsets, explore learning styles, learn to capitalize on their strengths, and practice positive academic habits through exploration and application.
- The goal for each student is to develop and sustain skills and habits to create a lasting and positive impression on their academic endeavors.
- Services available in Parish Lab vary by grade level. For 7th and 8th grade students specifically, Parish Lab is offered as a support during their existing study hall blocks.
What is the difference between Lab Study Hall and regular study hall?
Students enrolled in Parish Lab report to the lab classroom during all of their study hall block(s), rather than a regular study hall classroom. Study hall in Parish Lab is a highly structured study hall, focused on support provided through individual attention and assistance. The staff-to-student ratio in Parish Lab allows for consistent individual check-ins, content assistance, and monitoring. Students receive help with assignments from other classes and will be consistently encouraged to use effective organization tools and strategies. Students who attend study hall in a regular classroom experience a higher student-to-teacher ratio and as a result experience reduced access to active monitoring, individualized assistance, and organizational support. The intention of 7th and 8th grade Lab is not to provide new and unique curricular instruction, it is intended to reinforce and support curricular content introduced in core academic classes.
When will my student have access to Parish Lab?
7th and 8th grade students attend Lab during their study hall(s). They also have the opportunity to schedule times to work with the lab faculty, before school and after school (hours to be determined).
Enrollment in study hall(s) for 7th and 8th grade students varies based on course selection and time of year.
- Students are provided a 40 minute morning "study hall elective" class one trimester a year.
- Students in athletics or PE at the end of the day are enrolled in a 30 minute study hall at the beginning of the 4th block on either A or B day.
- Based on previously acquired course credits, some students are also eligible for an extended 85 minute study hall during 4th block (requires special approval from middle school administration as it replaces an enrichment course).
Is Parish Lab effective for all students?
Although Parish Lab offers individualized attention, success is reliant on student buy-in. Our most successful students are honest about their academic habits and open to coaching and guidance. Additionally, our students benefit significantly when open and collaborative communication exists consistently between home and school.
What are the behavioral expectations for Parish Lab students?
Students enrolled in Parish Lab are expected to follow expectations listed in the student handbook. The Lab environment is designed to be a safe, supportive, and encouraging space for students to build self awareness, increase their confidence, and ultimately feel empowered to succeed. This requires students to enter the space with an open mind, desire to be focused/productive, and an understanding that demonstrating kindness and respect toward peers is expected.
What is the cost for 7th & 8th grade Parish Lab?
Lab tuition for 7th & 8th grade is $1,500 per year.
How is Parish Lab billed?
Parish Lab tuition will be added to your Smart Tuition account under your current payment schedule. Charges may be prorated by trimester, based on time of enrollment.
Is financial assistance available for Parish Lab?
If you receive tuition assistance from the school and would like to apply for financial assistance with the cost of lab, please contact Juli Baldwin, Director of Financial Assistance, at email@example.com.
Where can I get additional information about Parish Lab?
If you have any questions please contact Phillip Page at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete one registration per child.
Please Note: There is no fee to complete this online registration form. The $1,500.00 Parish Lab tuition fee for 7th-8th grade will be added to your student's tuition account, after this online registration form is submitted and processed.
Parish Episcopal School - Midway Campus
8/22/2023 - 5/31/2024
There is no fee collected during this registration, it will be billed via Smart Tuition
This session has openings
Registration will end on 5/30/2024.