Parish Lab 5th & 6th Grades
What is Parish Lab and what can students in 5th - 6th grade expect?
- Parish Lab is a non-graded course that any middle school student with an active Individual Accommodation Plan (IAP) can enroll in.
- Parish Lab is a resource for students to develop mindsets, explore learning styles, learn to capitalize on their strengths, and practice positive academic habits through exploration and application.
- The goal for each student is to develop and sustain skills and habits to create a lasting and positive impression on their academic endeavors.
- Services available in Parish Lab vary by grade level. In general, Parish Lab provides support during study hall blocks; however, in addition to receiving support during study hall, students in 5th and 6th grade who enroll in the Parish Lab Class option will also be provided direct instruction in executive functioning and exposed to a deeper level of effective tools/strategies to support academic application and study skills.
What is the difference between Lab Study Hall and Lab Class?
Lab Study Hall
- Students enrolled in lab attend their study hall block in the Lab classroom.
- Study hall in Parish Lab is a highly structured study hall, focused on support through individual attention and supportive accountability.
- Students will receive help with assignments from other classes and will be consistently encouraged to use effective organization tools/strategies.
Students who enroll in the study hall only option will NOT receive specific skill and content based instruction, like the students enrolled in the elective lab class option.
- This is not an additional study hall period.
- The elective Lab Class replaces band or choir.
- It is a non-graded, skills and content based course, providing targeted instruction to compliment and support student growth and development within the social, emotional, behavioral and academic domains. Example topics include note taking, planning, active listening, goal setting, mindfulness, memorization strategies, methods of organizing documents/materials, etc.
- Students enrolled in Lab Class are automatically enrolled in Lab Study Hall.
When will my student have access to Parish Lab?
5th & 6th grade students have two enrollment options which impact when they will have access to Lab.
- If the study hall only option is selected, they will be assigned to Lab study hall during their regular study hall
- If the study hall and Lab class option is chosen, they will be assigned to Lab study hall during their regular study hall period and attend Lab Class instead of band or choir.
- All 5th and 6th grade Parish Lab students, regardless of enrollment option chosen, will also have the opportunity to schedule times to work with the lab faculty, before school and after school (hours to be determined).
What is the difference between Lab Study Hall and a regular study hall?
Students enrolled in Parish Lab report to the lab classroom during their study hall block, rather than to a regular study hall classroom. Study hall in Parish Lab is a highly structured study hall, focused on support provided through individual attention and assistance. The staff-to-student ratio in Parish Lab allows for consistent individual check-ins, content assistance, and monitoring. Students receive help with assignments from other classes and will be consistently encouraged to use effective organization tools and strategies. Students who attend study hall in a regular classroom experience a higher student-to-teacher ratio and as a result experience reduced access to active monitoring, individualized assistance, and organizational support. The intention of the 5th and 6th grade Lab study hall block is not to provide new and unique curricular instruction, it is intended to reinforce and support curricular content introduced in core academic classes.
Is Parish Lab effective for all students?
Although Parish Lab offers individualized attention, success is reliant on student buy-in. Our most successful students are honest about their academic habits and open to coaching and guidance. Additionally, our students benefit significantly when open and collaborative communication exists consistently between home and school.
What are the behavioral expectations for Parish Lab students?
Students enrolled in Parish Lab are expected to follow expectations listed in the student handbook. The Lab environment is designed to be a safe, supportive, and encouraging space for students to build self awareness, increase their confidence, and ultimately feel empowered to succeed. This requires students to enter the space with an open mind, desire to be focused/productive, and an understanding that demonstrating kindness and respect toward peers is expected.
What is the cost for 5th & 6th grade Parish Lab?
Parish Lab for 5th & 6th grade students consists of two separate courses, creating two levels of enrollment to choose from.
- Option 1: Lab Study Hall only -- ($1,500/year)
- Option 2: Lab Study Hall and Lab Class -- ($1,750/year).
How is Parish Lab billed?
Parish Lab tuition will be added to your Smart Tuition account under your current payment schedule. Charges may be prorated by trimester, based on time of enrollment.
Is financial assistance available for Parish Lab?
If you receive tuition assistance from the school and would like to apply for financial assistance with the cost of lab, please contact Juli Baldwin, Director of Financial Assistance, at email@example.com.
Where can I get additional information about Parish Lab?
If you have any questions please contact Phillip Page at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: There is no fee to complete this online registration form. The $1,500.00 fee for option 1 or $1,750.00 fee for option 2 Parish Lab tuition in 5th-6th grade will be added to your student's tuition account, after this online registration form is submitted and processed.
Parish Episcopal School - Midway Campus
8/22/2023 - 5/31/2024
There is no fee collected during this registration, it will be billed via Smart Tuition
This session has openings
Registration will end on 5/30/2024.