Frequently Asked Questions

Camp Life

Q:Can campers do laundry?
A:Laundry facilities at camp are for bedwetting or incredibly dirty clothing only.

Please send enough clothing to last the entire one or two-week session.

For our three-week Leadership programs, campers will do laundry after their 8-day camping trip.

Q:Can our camper choose someone to bunk with?
A:We do try to put friends together in cabins when indicated in the registration system or in correspondence with us prior to arrival at camp.

Cabins are assigned by age & gender so campers close in age/grade will usually be able to bunk in the same cabin.

Remember, camp is also a great place to make new friends!

Q:How can I communicate with my camper?
A:Receiving letters/cards from home can mean a lot, even if your child is only at camp for a short time. Sometimes it can take a while for mail to reach us, so sending letters a little prior to you child arriving at camp can be useful!

Campers also have the opportunity to send mail home from camp.

For campers at Tanglewood Camp, address mail to: [Child’s name], Tanglewood 4-H Camp, 1 Tanglewood Road, Lincolnville, ME 04849

For campers at Blueberry Cove Camp, address mail to: [Child’s name], 22 Blueberry Cove Road, Tenants Harbor, ME 04860

We cannot accept e-mails directed to campers. In some extreme cases, such as communication from family overseas, please email the office and they will print and pass on your letter to your camper.

If you have an emergency or concern for your child’s safety or well-being, please call the director:

Tanglewood: Jessica Decke, 207.789.5802 or Blueberry Cove: Ryan LeShane, 207.491.6537.

If, in a non-emergency, you need to know how your child is doing, please call the directors Tuesdays between 7 & 8 PM and Wednesday or Thursday between 9 & 11 AM.

Health & Safety

Q:How do you handle first aid?
A:In addition to a health care provider on site, we work closely with a local physician and staff are trained in emergency care.

If emergency hospital care is needed, we will take campers to the nearest hospital or call 911 for support. You will be notified if your child requires hospitalization or is s/he is ill for more than 8 hours.

The majority, but not all, of our staff have both first aid and CPR certifications. Any activity which leaves the immediate proximity of our facility is always accompanied by someone holding current 1st aid & CPR. All trips away from the camp facility also carry first aid kits.

All swimming activities are overseen by certified lifeguards; boating activities by a small craft safety instructor or lifeguard.

For activities that take place off-site, our trip leaders are trained in first aid or wilderness first aid and CPR. The health care providers at each site are available for consultation with trip leaders regarding any health concerns. Each trip itinerary contains local emergency contact information including the camp director, camp nurse, land-owners and local hospitals. Each itinerary also contains evacuation plans and routes. If emergency hospital care is needed, we will take campers to the hospital nearest to the trip. In the event of an emergency, the camp director will notify parents.

Q:What if my camper has allergies or dietary needs?
A:In most cases we can accommodate food allergies, provided our kitchen staff are given advance notice. Please make sure to provide the details on your camper’s health form and contact us to discuss your specific needs.

Nuts: Due to the increased prevalence of nut allergies, we have instituted a policy of not serving nut products at camp and ask all participants to refrain from bringing nuts or nut related products into camp.

Due to the variety of programs and activities taking place at camp including rental groups, use of trails by the general public, and our own programming, we cannot guarantee that we are a nut-free facility for those with severe allergies but we are doing our best to significantly reduce the risk of nut-related reactions.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss your specific needs or our policies.

Q:What if my camper needs an accommodation?
A:The University of Maine is committed to working with all students/campers and participants to meet their housing needs in a community that values diversity and promotes dignity of all. In complying with the letter and spirit of applicable laws and in pursuing its own goals of diversity, the University of Maine shall not discriminate on grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, including transgender status and gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities.

Recognizing all individual needs are varied, our sincere desire is to have a comfortable and welcoming living arrangement for all our campers. Campers who would like individual consideration regarding housing assignments, please contact Patti Chapman at 207.789.5868.

Q:What if my camper needs to take medication at camp?
A:Each site has a health care provider who oversees all aspects of camper health care. All camper medicines are checked into the health care provider by parents/guardians during registration and are kept in our health center at all times (exceptions can be made for inhalers and Epi-pens).

Counselors are informed when their campers need to take medicines and will coordinate administration of medication with the health care provider.

Registration & Payment

Q:What is the cancellation policy?
A:Deposits are non-refundable. The balance of tuition may be refunded if cancellation is made at least 30 days prior to the start of your session.

If we need to cancel a program due to COVID or another unforeseeable situation, we will offer the option of a refund or hold payments over for the next season.

Q:When is payment due?
A:A deposit is required upon registration. Full payment is due two weeks prior to the start of your session unless you have made a different payment plan with the office.

Payments can be made with a credit card in the registration system or checks for programs at either site can be mailed to the main office at 1 Tanglewood Road, Lincolnville, ME 04849. Please make checks (for all programs) payable to UMaine-Tanglewood

To make a payment plan, contact the main office at 207.789.5868 or