Volunteer - Camp AweSum Family III
Camp AweSum Family Camp provides a week long camp for families with children on the autism spectrum. Volunteer Counselors support all the children of the families (those on the spectrum and those not on the spectrum) for 3 hours each morning and one evening during the week of camp. Campers have all meals with their families. Volunteer Counselors will have various afternoon hours. Volunteer duties are finished after breakfast Saturday morning. The suggested fee to cover volunteer meals and housing is only $290 for the week but the experience is priceless! (Please note that the commuting volunteers are not asked to pay the suggested fee.)
SPECIAL NOTE: In this year of Covid restrictions, we are encouraging families of volunteers to attend together! Any families of 4+ volunteers will be given their own private cabin.
Volunteers ages 14+ are encouraged to sign up. Volunteer applicants under the age of 14 who are especially mature, able to take direction and responsible will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. All volunteers who are minors need to attend with and be supervised by a chaperone.
Requirements for Volunteers:
1. Demonstrate the desire and ability to learn about autism and Camp AweSum's approaches for managing the challenges associated with it.
2. Mobility: Be physically able to keep up with campers and willing to maintain constant supervision of campers in order to fulfill all responsibilities.
3. Be patient, energetic, fun-loving, and hard-working - and a sense of humor doesn't hurt!
4. Participate in all activities with the campers. This requires volunteers to encourage and facilitate, but NOT demand, the campers' participation in all activities.
5. Implement behavior management strategies according to the guidelines presented in the Camp AweSum training. Discuss these strategies with supervisory staff as needed.
6. Be willing and able to put the needs of others before your own.
7. Be flexible and able to work well with others, maintain open and effective communication.
8. Be accepting and respectful of those who think, behave, and interact differently than what is considered 'normal.'
9. Youth volunteers need to demonstrate a significant level of maturity and independence.
We can't wait to see you at Camp AweSum!
8/01/2021 3:00 PM - 8/07/2021 10:00 AM
Suggested $290 Donation
This session has openings
Registration will end on 7/30/2021.